As the name implied, the college's single purpose was to train teachers.
In 1946, however, the institution established a junior college to offer two years of college work on a transfer basis.
The following year, the General Assembly appropriated money to construct an exclusive building to house the burgeoning school.
In 1876, the Normal School moved its faculty and 206 students to this new landmark facility located in West Baltimore facing Lafayette Square on Carrollton and Lafayette Avenues.
This expansion led to the construction of the Center for the Arts, University Union, Cook Library, and many other new facilities. Fisher, the college expanded the courses offered to meet the demands of the growing student body.